Recipe by CookingLaura
This exceptional sandwich originated at Penny Cluse Cafe in Burlington, Vermont. The spinach, mushroom and onion filling is so satisfying, you won't even miss the corned beef. Recipe courtesy EatingWell.com
Top Review by Watkinslady30
I've been cutting out meat for health reasons and trying some new recipes out. I tried this with some baby portobella mushrooms and it's very good. I tucked in a few slices of corned beef for the guys, though. I don't think they realized how many vegetables were in their sandwich. The only bad thing about these is the amount of sodium is higher than I should be eating. But great for a treat once in awhile. Like Anne in Apex, I also left out the capers and used sliced Swiss cheese. They asked me to make them again in the future.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon chopped pickles or 1 teaspoon relish
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 5 cups Baby Spinach
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sauerkraut
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Russian dressing: Whisk mayonnaise and ketchup in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in capers and pickle (or relish).
- To prepare sandwiches: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until it has wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a plate.
- Coat the pan with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and return to medium heat. Add the bread; divide cheese equally among the slices. Divide sauerkraut between 2 slices and divide the spinach mixture between the other 2 slices; cook until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer sandwich halves to a cutting board. Divide the dressing between the spinach halves. Carefully place the sauerkraut halves on top. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.