I have another recipe from Moosewood that's called a Portabella Reuben, but this is from the Food Network Kitchens and I think you will enjoy this one too!You can leave out the tempeh bacon and/or use veggie bacon, toful bacon, wham(vegetarian ham), or even roasted mushrooms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 lb sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet apple, peeled, and grated (optional)
- generous pinch allspice
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (or ketchup or try Thai chili sauce for a kick)
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons capers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 12 slices tempeh bacon (you can leave this out or use veggie bacon, tofu bacon, seitan or wham=vegetarian ham)
- 1 -2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices rye bread (or pumpernickel bread)
- 12 slices dill pickles
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese (8 ounces)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and garlic; cook until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 3Add the sauerkraut, apple(if using), and allspice, season with salt and a generous grinding of black pepper.
- 4Cook until sauerkraut is tender, lightly browned and all the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes more(you want all the liquid gone).
- 5For the Russian dressing:.
- 6Mix all the dressing ingredients together, cover and chill until ready to use.
- 7For the Sandwich:.
- 8Heat a grill pan on medium low heat.
- 9If using the tempeh: Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the tempeh, in batches as needed, until crispy golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels. If using other options, cook as directed.
- 10Spread some butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Place 4 pieces, buttered side down, on a work surface. Spread some of the Russian dressing on. Evenly lay the pickles, tempeh(or other options) if using, sauerkraut, and then cheese on top. Top with second slice of bread, to make 4 sandwiches.
- 11Place the sandwiches on the grill and cook about 2-3 minutes on each side, turning once so both sides get nice and golden brown, about 4-6 minutes total.
- 12Serve hot. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Reuben Sandwich(Virgin Reuben)
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.3
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.1 mg
- Sodium 1665.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: