1 hr 15 mins
A meatless dish with lots of flavor, adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level or you may omit if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb uncooked ziti pasta (or 1 lb penne pasta)
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 medium fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to heat level)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small eggplant (sliced into about 1-inch cubes)
- 1 small zucchini (halved lenghwise then sliced thinly)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced (or a mixture of red and green bell peppers)
- 4 large plum tomatoes, coarsley chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.
- 2For the ratatouille; heat 3 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add in onion, chopped garlic, chili flakes and dried basil and oregano; cook stirring until the onion is softened (about 5 minutes).
- 4Reduce heat to medium then stir in eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper and chopped tomatoes; cook stirring for about 10-12 minutes.
- 5Mix in 3-4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese then season with salt and black pepper to taste; set aside.
- 6Cook the pasta until just al dente (do not overcook as the pasta will cook more in the oven) drain then place in a large bowl.
- 7Toss the cooked pasta with ricotta cheese, eggs, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper if desired.
- 8TO ASSEMBLE; spoon HALF of the ziti mixture into prepare casserole dish, then top with all the ratatouille mixture.
- 9Spread the remaining half of the ziti mixture on top of the pasta.
- 10Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese.
- 11Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20 minutes.
- 12Uncover and bake another 10 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Ratatouille Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1031.5
- Calories from Fat 422
- Total Fat 46.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 198.6 mg
- Sodium 569.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 46.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: