Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A meatless dish with lots of flavor, adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level or you may omit if desired.
- 1 lb uncooked ziti pasta (or 1 lb penne pasta)
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 medium fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to heat level)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small eggplant (sliced into about 1-inch cubes)
- 1 small zucchini (halved lenghwise then sliced thinly)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced (or a mixture of red and green bell peppers)
- 4 large plum tomatoes, coarsley chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.
- For the ratatouille; heat 3 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, chopped garlic, chili flakes and dried basil and oregano; cook stirring until the onion is softened (about 5 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium then stir in eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper and chopped tomatoes; cook stirring for about 10-12 minutes.
- Mix in 3-4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese then season with salt and black pepper to taste; set aside.
- Cook the pasta until just al dente (do not overcook as the pasta will cook more in the oven) drain then place in a large bowl.
- Toss the cooked pasta with ricotta cheese, eggs, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper if desired.
- TO ASSEMBLE; spoon HALF of the ziti mixture into prepare casserole dish, then top with all the ratatouille mixture.
- Spread the remaining half of the ziti mixture on top of the pasta.
- Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 10 minutes more.