1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Pumpkin Tortilla Soup
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I don't remember where I got this recipe, but my mom makes it for the holidays, and it has become a staple among our family members - it's a great recipe to double for larger groups! We have done different versions, including one where we added pre-made polenta in lieu of the tortillas... it was delish. Also, don't feel like you have to fry your own tortilla strips... it's very messy and oily. Store-bought tortilla chips will do just fine. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus more sprigs for garnish
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- chile or dried chile pequins or other dried hot peppers or cayenne pepper, to taste*
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree or 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 -2 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1Cut 6 of the tortillas into 1/2-inch squares.
- 2Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, cilantro, and chopped tortillas and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft.
- 3Add cumin and crushed peppers or cayenne and sauté for another minute.
- 4Add pumpkin, tomatoes, vegetable stock, and salt and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour.
- 5While the soup is simmering, cut the remaining 6 tortillas in half and then into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Fry tortilla strips in two batches until crisp and light golden (about a minute). Using a slotted spoon, transfer tortilla strips to towels to drain.
- 6To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with tortilla strips, avocado, and cilantro.
- 7*As a personal preference, I like to put the cilantro, tortilla strips, avocado, (ALONG WITH sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese - my own additions) into smaller serving bowls for people to add themselves. Yum.
- 8*You can tailor the type and amount of hot pepper to your own tastes. We usually make this with a couple of crushed chile pequins but have also used cayenne pepper, which is more readily available. If you're not sure how much to use, start with 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne, taste the soup after it has simmered for awhile, and then add more if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Pumpkin Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.9
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 227.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsalted vegetable stock