A deceptively rich-tasting, elegant soup, adapted from a recipe in the Moosewood Cookbook. Perfect for dinner party showing off, or as a simple rainy day meal paired with hot, crusty bread.
- In a large dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and 1 teaspoons salt. Cook about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and lightly browned.
- Add the potatoes, fennel, caraway seeds, and another 1/2 teaspoons salt. Saute over medium heat about five minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Taste and adjust salt if needed. Serve topped with minced fennel fronds.