Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I originally got this recipe from a vegan cookbook, and its easy to keep it vegan by omitting the butter. It is a super delicious recipe and very filling, perfect for a cold winter's night.
- Put peppercorns and fresh herbs in cheesecloth and tie corners together to form a little package.
- In large pot, bring broth, lemon juice, and cheesecloth package to a boil.
- Add lentils and potato. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a nonstick skillet, carmelize onion and garlic with the butter. Once carmelized, add 2 cups of water, the carrots and cilantro and cook until carrots are softened.
- Once potatoes are cooked properly, add onion mixture and cook for about 5 minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste. If soup is a little too chunky, adding a cup or two of water helps thin it out a little bit. Remove cheesecloth package before serving.