Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A creamless, butterless, meatless variation of the classic recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts washed and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 pound)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
- Heat a 4-quart soup pot over medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the leeks, onion, and sea salt and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir well. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion/stick blender to blend the soup in the pot or ladle the soup into a blender, 1 cup at a time. Blend the soup with the fresh rosemary leaves until smooth and free of chunks. Pour smooth soup into a heat-proof bowl and continue until all of the soup has been blended.
- Transfer the blended soup back to the original soup pot and warm over low heat until heated through. Serve hot.