1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Pot Pie
1 hr 5 mins
This makes a tasty and satisfying vegetarian meal, you won't even miss the meat! Impress you family or guests! Adapted from Aida Mollencamp on the Food Network show, Ask Aida!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter (or Smart Balance)
- 2 small head fennel, finely chopped (about 3 cups, or use 1 head fennel and 1 stalk celery to equal 3 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 340.19 g white button mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 small russet potato, peeled and diced small (about 2 1/2 cups)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 236.59 ml vegetable broth (or mushroom or chicken broth)
- 236.59 ml soymilk (or whole milk)
- 236.59 ml frozen baby green pea
- 59.14 ml thinly sliced fresh chives (or scallions-green part only)
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 14.79 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2.46 ml garlic powder (optional)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 198.44 g store-bought puff pastry, defrosted if frozen (or pie dough-double if making a bottom crust)
- 1Heat the oven to 400 degrees F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 2Melt butter over medium heat in a 3- to 4-quart heavy bottomed saucepan. When it foams, add fennel, onions, and carrots, and cook until just soft and onions are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and potato, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir to coat. Cook, stirring just a little, until mushrooms have shed their moisture and are shrunken, about 6 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle flour over vegetables, stir to coat, and cook until raw flavor is gone, about 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully add broth and milk, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat, add peas, herbs, and vinegar, red pepper flakes(if using), and garlic powder(if using) and stir to coat. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Turn filling into an 8"x8" baking dish(I've been told a 9"x13" dish works too).
- 5Whisk egg together with 2 teaspoons water and a pinch of salt until evenly mixed. Set aside.
- 6With kitchen shears, cut dough to fit over the baking dish. Place dough over filling and tuck into the edges of the dish(if you wish, you can make a crust for the bottom too). Brush dough with egg wash and cut slits in the top to vent. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbling, about 25-30 minutes. Let sit at least 5 minutes before serving.
- 8To reheat individual servings, warm for 2 min in the microwave, then bake covered for 15 min at 400*F., then remove the cover and bake an additional 5 minutes to crisp up the crust. Otherwise, leftovers will be too soggy or too burnt!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.1
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 26.8 mg
- Sodium 125.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: