Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
This delicious pot pie makes a nice vegetarian entree for a special occaision, such as Thanksgiving. Usually a hit with non-veggies as well. Cook it in a pretty dish for a nice presentation.
- 3⁄4 cup cubed tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 cups carrots, cut into large dice
- 1 cup parsnip, cut into large dice
- 2 cups winter squash, cut in large dice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kelp powder (optional)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup jarlsberg cheese or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- unbaked 10-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine the tofu and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbs cornstarch to the yogurt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Steam the carrots, parsnips, and squash until tender.
- Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet; add mushrooms, red pepper, garlic, ginger and salt and saute until the mushrooms and pepper are tender. Do not brown.
- Combine 2 tbs cornstarch, optional kelp powder, cayenne, and milk, and add to the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Fold in the tofu, then stir in the yogurt mixture.
- Add the steamed vegetables and transfer the mixture to an ungreased 10 inch deep dish pie plate.
- Top with the unbaked crust, and slash the crust to let steam escape.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.