Recipe by Silverlan
A combo of several different posole recipes, with a mild spiciness but rich flavor. Yummy served with tortillas or over rice.
Top Review by m-a-s
Great recipe! It's very easy and makes an excellent soup!! I'm always glad to find a veggie recipe that's hearty with lots of flavor. I followed this recipe pretty closely except I used a couple types of chili powder instead of chillies...and added some extra oregano. I'll make this again.
- 2 dried New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (textured vegetable protein 240 cal or dry cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 4 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped (about 2 large onions, yellow or white)
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, chopped (about 1 whole pepper, red is good too)
- 1 (29 ounce) can hominy, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or vegetarian "chicken" broth)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- chopped green onion
- chopped cilantro
- chopped avocado
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chile peppers in a small bowl; cover with boiling water, and let stand while you chop other vegetables.
- In small saucepan, bring TVP and 1 1/2 cups of broth to a boil; turn off heat and let TVP soak up liquid while prepping other veggies.
- Saute onions 5-7 minutes, then add garlic and bell pepper. Continue to saute until onions are soft (another 5-7 minutes).
- While onions saute, transfer chiles and soaking liquid to a blender; blend until smooth.
- When onions are soft, add hominy, tomatoes, blended chiles, 2 1/2 cups broth, TVP, oregano, cumin, coriander, and salt.
- Simmer over medium heat 30 minutes to let flavors blend. (Can simmer longer if needed. Add extra broth or water if you like a thinner stew.).
- Stir in OJ and serve garnished with chopped green onions, radishes, cilantro, avocado, shredded lettuce, and/or hot sauce.