Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Recipe courtesy Gertrude's Gallery in Newport, RI via $40 a Day with Rachael Ray. Here is a vegetarian version of this delicious soup.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 3⁄4 diced turnip
- 3⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 bunches kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 9 ounces soy chorizo, chopped (vegetarian chorizo)
- 4 1⁄2 bay leaves
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 9 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups kidney bean
- 1 1⁄8 cups diced tomato (6 ounces)
- 15 ounces diced potatoes (about 2 medium)
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, turnips and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale, chorizo, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and mix well. Add the veg. stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the salted water to a boil and add the diced potatoes. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and add them to the soup.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve hot. Enjoy!
I enjoyed this soup for my dinner tonight and am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow. I used soyrizo. The only substitution that I made was to use dried thyme in place of fresh since I didn't have any on hand. I especially like the turnips in this soup, and as another reviewer pointed out, I was pleased how the kale holds up in the dish. Thanks!
This recipe was easy and so yummy! I loved it and I did use vegan chorizo. I didn't have fresh thyme or parsley so I used dried. I also did not have turnips and used celery instead. I will make this again! Thanks Sharon.
I made this with the kale that came in my CSA box. Used some organic chicken sausage, left out the beans, added sweet potato, and didn't cook the potato separately. Turned out really tasty. I like the flexibility of adding whatever vegetables I have.