Recipe by Sharon123
Recipe courtesy Gertrude's Gallery in Newport, RI via $40 a Day with Rachael Ray. Here is a vegetarian version of this delicious soup.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
I enjoyed this soup for my dinner tonight and am looking forward to leftovers tomorrow. I used soyrizo. The only substitution that I made was to use dried thyme in place of fresh since I didn't have any on hand. I especially like the turnips in this soup, and as another reviewer pointed out, I was pleased how the kale holds up in the dish. Thanks!
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml finely chopped garlic
- 118.29 ml diced onion
- 1 diced turnip
- 118.29 ml diced carrot
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 170.09 g soy chorizo, chopped (vegetarian chorizo)
- 3 bay leaves
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1419.54 ml vegetable stock
- 236.59 ml kidney bean
- 177.44 ml diced tomato (6 ounces)
- 283.49 g diced potatoes (about 2 medium)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, turnips and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale, chorizo, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and mix well. Add the veg. stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the salted water to a boil and add the diced potatoes. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and add them to the soup.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve hot. Enjoy!