Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Fast and easy. Barbecue sauce makes a delicious change from the usual seasoned tomato sauce. I use Yves brand Veggie Ground Round Original and President's Choice Tournament BBQ Sauce (available only in Canada, I believe). To cut prep and cleanup time, I sometimes use a pre-shredded blend of cheeses. Meat eaters can substitute any ground meat for the veggie burger (I brown 1 pound of lean ground beef or chicken and freeze it in single-serving portions). Use whatever veggies you have on hand instead of, or in addition to, mushrooms.
- 1 whole wheat pita bread
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 lb veggie burger, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread barbecue sauce on pita.
- Sprinkle remaining ingredients, in order, on top of barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese melts.