Recipe by busybee_jrs
I found this on vegtv and it looks very yummy! Enlightened Factoid Pineapple is the sole source of bromelain, a protein digesting enzyme compound that aids digestion and boosts healing. This powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic is very effective in treating bruises, sprains and strains by reducing swelling, tenderness and pain. Choose a brightly colored pineapple with deep green leaves and a sweet aroma that is plump and heavy for its size.
Top Review by srichster
Comment on the pineapple factoid: It is true that fresh pineapple is a fabulous source of bromelain. And it is true that bromelain provides a host of health benefits. However, please note that the bromelain enzyme is most concentrated in the stem of the pineapple (though it is also found in the fuit and the leaves). Also, the heating process destroys the bromelain enzyme. To get all the benefits of bromelain, you're better off sticking with a fresh raw pineapple.
- 1 medium pineapple, peeled, sliced and cored
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into half-moons
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- five-spice baked tofu, sliced on an angle 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced baby carrots
- 2 1⁄2 cups bite size broccoli florets
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Chardonnay wine or 1⁄2 cup hot vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup Red Star nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- serve this delectable dish with rice expressions jasmine rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube fresh pineapple and set aside. Heat oil and crushed pepper in an electric skillet or 12 inch Wok pan over medium high heat, 30 seconds. Add ginger, garlic, onions, bell pepper, and cinnamon. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add carrots, tofu, broccoli and pineapple, cook mixture 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine and reduce liquid, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low. Add turmeric, corn soup, yeast, tamari, and cilantro. Mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer, 5 minutes. Serve with Rice Expressions Jasmine rice.