1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
That is Dr House to you's Note:
From Sally Bernstien's article on Vietnamese food in the Vegetarian Journal[March/April 2000]. "I'm pleased to report that experiencing a vegetarian Vietnam is possible. Armed with a tourist phrasebook, a healthy appreciation of local markets, and a willingness to be considered highly eccentric by the Viet-namese, I enjoyed such delicacies as a vegetarian version of pho, the fabled Vietnamese noodle and meat soup..."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb rice noodles
- 8 ounces seitan, drained
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup shredded napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup tender greens
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons peanuts (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 3 fresh red chili peppers or 3 fresh green chili peppers
- fresh ground pepper
broth (use 8 cups)
- 1Tear greens into bite-sized pieces. Use both green and white parts of the scallions. Peanuts should bechopped roasted unsalted Seed the chili peppers and cut into rounds.
- 2Make the broth then when it has simmered for about 10 minutes, soak the noodles.
- 3To Soak: Bring 4 qts water to boil. Remove from heat. Add the noodles and soak 15 minutes. Stir occasionally until noodles are pliable and easily separated. Drain and divide into bowls.
- 4Simmer seitan in the broth until heated through. About 4 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon and thin slice into six portions and add your noodles.
- 5Now Place the bean sprouts, cabbage, greens, basil, cilantro, scallions and peanuts on top of the noodles and seitan. Put broth into bowls.
- 6Serve the lime, chili rounds and salt and pepper on the side.
- 7Broth: Makes 8 cups.
- 8Put the stock, braggs, garlic and onion in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
- 9Char the ginger on all sides and add to the stock.
- 10Now add the cinnamon, anise and bay to the broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes partially covered.
- 11Remove solids with slotted spoon. Adjust seasonings if needed and return to pot until ready to use in recipe. Keep hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.3
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 143.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs liquid aminos
star anise pods