Recipe by ellie_
This is a low cal filling soup - I didn't use the seitan and it was still very good and filling. Recipe source: Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 star anise, whole
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or your favorite soy sauce)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 ounces seitan, cut into strips, optional (I didn't use any)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons barley miso (or regular miso(I used white miso)
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 6 ounces rice noodles, soaked for 15 minutes in cold water and drained
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts, garnish
- 4 scallions, chopped, garnish
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In crock pot combine the first 7 ingredients (onion - broth), cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium high heat and add seitan strips. Brown on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Strain broth/stock and return broth to crock pot.
- In a small cup combine miso paste with water.
- In a small bowl combine the next 2 ingredients and the miso/water mixture. Add to broth in crock pot. Stir in drained rice sticks and seitan. Cook for 5-10 minutes longer or until rice sticks are soft.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with bean sprouts, scallions and cilantro.