Recipe by Lil' Miss Peppers
Everyone in my family loves these. We even had them for Thanksgiving instead of the traditional cuisine. Any kind of vegetable can be prepared to add to it as can the extra toppings. Some people like zucchini or mushroom in theirs, but here is my favorite combination.
- 8 soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 large white onion
- 1 large tomatoes
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded (or to taste)
- 16 ounces four-cheese Mexican blend cheese (or to taste)
- 8 tablespoons sour cream (or to taste)
- 3 cups salsa (whichever spicy level you prefer)
- 4 cups Velveeta cheese (for queso)
- cayenne pepper (to taste, opt.)
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a crockpot (or large cooking pot), place Velveeta cheese and 2 cups salsa (the amounts vary depending on how thick you want the queso, a little less for very thick and more for thinner). Let cook, stirring occasionally until dinner time.
- Wash and remove the seeds and pits of the three peppers. Cut up the peppers (all three types) and white onion in long slices (from top to bottom). Dice tomatoes and place aside.
- Heat a large frying pan on med-high. Place olive oil into pan until hot. Add onion slices and let cook until carmelized. For spice add a little cayenne pepper to onions in this step.
- Remove onions (leaving juice) and place in a smaller pan (heated to med-low) until ready to serve.
- Cook sliced peppers inside onion juices until browned.
- Heat up fajita tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds on high.
- Prepare as follows: torilla, queso, sour cream, salsa, onions, peppers, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatos.