Recipe by Enjolinfam
I already posted a vegan pecan "meatball" hoagie. This one isn't vegan, but it is meatless and delicious! These meatballs can also be made in a large batch and frozen loose in freezer bags until needed. Just drop frozen meatballs (that have already been browned) into the tomato sauce and bake for up to 30 minutes or warm in microwave on high for approximately 10 minutes. For a brown-bag version, take the meatballs and sauce in a separate container and place in a hoagie roll at lunchtime. From the cookbook "Choices - Quick & Healthy Cooking."
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Excellent "meatballs"! I halved the recipe and now wish I hadn't. These are going to be so nice to have on had. I have to say I was very nervous about age being the only herb added to these. I don't mind sage, but it didn't seem like what I would want to taste on a meatball sandwich, but it really worked. The only changes I made was to use walnuts instead of pecans and half cracker crumbs and half breadcrumbs. They fried up nicely. I just wish I had chopped the nuts a little finer. I used just a little sauce and topped the sandwich with cheese and put in under the broiler. Thanks for sharing this yummy keeper recipe!
- 226.79 g low fat cottage cheese
- 8 egg whites
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsely
- 236.59 ml pecans, chopped coarsely
- 473.18 ml soda crackers, crushed coarsely
- 4.92 ml sage
- 9.85 ml garlic powder
- 5 whole wheat hoagie rolls
- 1419.0-1892.0 ml tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, whole and peeled
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender container, blend cottage cheese until smooth. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg whites, onion, pecans, crackers, sage, and garlic powder and mix well. Allow to thicken in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Form mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Fry in lightly oiled pan, turning to brown on all sides.
- Put browned meatballs in baking dish, cover with tomato sauce and heat in oven or microwave until sauce bubbles.
- Cut hoagie rolls in half and lightly brush cut sides with olive oil. Toast rolls in 400 degree F oven until very lightly browned, remove from oven and rub garlic clove on each side. Bake an additional 3-4 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Put 3 meatballs with sauce down the center of each toasted hoagie roll and serve warm.