I already posted a vegan pecan "meatball" hoagie. This one isn't vegan, but it is meatless and delicious! These meatballs can also be made in a large batch and frozen loose in freezer bags until needed. Just drop frozen meatballs (that have already been browned) into the tomato sauce and bake for up to 30 minutes or warm in microwave on high for approximately 10 minutes. For a brown-bag version, take the meatballs and sauce in a separate container and place in a hoagie roll at lunchtime. From the cookbook "Choices - Quick & Healthy Cooking."
- In a blender container, blend cottage cheese until smooth. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg whites, onion, pecans, crackers, sage, and garlic powder and mix well. Allow to thicken in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Form mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Fry in lightly oiled pan, turning to brown on all sides.
- Put browned meatballs in baking dish, cover with tomato sauce and heat in oven or microwave until sauce bubbles.
- Cut hoagie rolls in half and lightly brush cut sides with olive oil. Toast rolls in 400 degree F oven until very lightly browned, remove from oven and rub garlic clove on each side. Bake an additional 3-4 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Put 3 meatballs with sauce down the center of each toasted hoagie roll and serve warm.