Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
From A Veg*n for Dinner blog (http://www.aveganfordinner.blogspot.com/)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (26 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Puree in the can with an immersion blender if you like the sauce smooth. Leave chunky or mash slight)
- 1 (10 ounce) canvegan condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- Saute the onion in the oil.
- Add all other ingredients in the order listed, with the TVP last.
- Simmer until onions are soft and/or the desired texture for the sauce is achieved.
This is a super sauce, I did wonder about the canned soup, but it gave the sauce a marvellous smooth, almost creamy texture (even tho I did not mash the tinned chopped tomatoes but left as they were), and it had a good tomatoey taste. I didn't add the TVP. The first time we had it, we had as is, on spaghetti, mmm, DH loved this sauce, and I must tell you, we do eat a lot of tomato sauce, so he is a good judge!! The second time, using the 'leftovers', (coz it does make lots), I sauteed some finely sliced red cabbage, two small red peppers, chopped, and a little minced garlic, and then added the sauce to the vegetables and left to simmer for a while. Oh yes, also some freshly chopped sage. In the meantime, I cooked gnocchi, and when they were ready, added them to the sauce also, for another five minutes or so. Mmm, delish! Thank you Stingo, for posting a super recipe! Made for veg*n swap#19
Very good sauce which we had with macaroni with some small changes based on what was in the house and cooked the sauce longer based on timing and suggestions. The changes I made was using regular tomato soup and instead of garlic salt just used garlic powder and in place of Italian Seasoning used oregano. Made for Vegetarian Swap. Thanks for sharing!
I made this as is except for the soup. I did used the blender for a smooth sauce (son`s preference). Simmering longer would help mellow the wine which I found a tad strong. Thanks!