Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 fennel bulb, halved and cut crosswise into very thin slices
- 1 cup drained and rinsed canned chick-peas (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1⁄3 cup black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large crusty rolls, split
- In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the fennel, chickpeas, olives, capers, parsley, garlic, and tomato. Add the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper and toss.
- Remove some of the soft center from each half roll, leaving a 1/2-inch shell. Mound the filling onto the bottom of each roll. Drizzle any remaining juices over the filling. Cover with the top of each roll.
- If you have time, wrap each roll tightly in aluminum foil and let sit for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours. Otherwise, press down on the rolls firmly so that the dressing moistens the bread.