Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a vegetarian paella which is one of my staple main dish meals.
Make and share this Vegetarian Paella recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 ounces brown rice
- 8 saffron strands
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 4 ounces green beans
- 4 ounces broccoli
- 8 fluid ounces vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- Saute the onion in oilive oil in a large, deep frying pan until golden brown.
- Add chopped vegetables and continue for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice, salt to taste, cumin and saffron and coat the rice grains in oil for a few minutes.
- Add stock and bring to boil then lower heat to allow to simmer for around 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Add more stock as required.
- Remove from heat and add parsley and lemon juice.
This was amazing! So flavorful and quite easy. The saffron is far too expensive for me, I'm sorry to say, but other than omitting that perticular ingredient, I used all the ingredients listed. The only part that went wrong was that the rice didn't cook right. I kept testing it every few minutes, but it was way too underdone. I wound up cooking it 45-60 minutes. The vegetables were kind of mushy by then and it all was burnt on the bottom (it was my fault for not stirring constantly) and the rice was still crunchy. Though it's flavor was so lovely, I devoured it with its unpleasant texture and slightly burnt taste. My mother couldn't stay out of it! I love that it is vegan; this is my kind of meal and I truly loved it. Next time, I will surely cook the rice before adding it to the veggies! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe :)