Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is full of flavour and a real summer-time dish with all the bright colours and fresh taste of the peppers and artichokes, whilst the tomatoes give it a rich background. A really adaptable recipe, I added saffron to the original to give it that extra flavour.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 cups paella rice
- 4 medium tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 1 small green pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cups artichoke hearts
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sauté the garlic and onion for 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the rice and sauté for a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the rice doesn't stick.
- Add the vegetable stock and saffron and simmer for 20 minutes or until all but a little bit of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the peas.
- Coat the artichokes with half of the lemon juice and then add to the pan.
- Continue cooking until the rice is tender, topping up with additional hot water if needed.
- Serve the paella with lemon wedges to garnish.