Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
a vegetarian paella
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 3 green bell peppers
- 2 onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 cups artichoke hearts
- 1.5 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Chop onions and 2 of the 3 green peppers. Saute until becoming soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic (chopped finely) and saute another minute. Add tomatoes and bay leaves and cook the mixture (sofrito) until it holds its shape, about 20-30 minutes.
- Slice remaining bell peppers and cube tofu to bite-size pieces.
- Boil water and add crushed saffron threads.
- Saute rice with sofrito for 3-5 minutes. Stir in boiling water, stirring constantly to mix well.
- Pour mixture into paella pan or large casserole. Layer sliced peppers, artichoke hearts and tofu on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Add corn and peas after rice is mostly cooked, and broth is mostly absorbed. Cook for 5-10 minutes more.
- Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over top.