Recipe by Deb's Recipes
A quick-to-make yet elegant dish fit for company from Prevention's The Healthy Cook Cookbook and submitted for Zaar World Tour II.
Top Review by Alias11786
I made this for dinner last night but I found it bland, unfortunately. I gave it 2 stars because it was vegan and quick to make. Next time, I would use veg. broth and more spices. And roasting the capsicum is a must!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (or parboiled rice)
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic for one minute; add water, salt, and saffron and bring to boil; stir in rice and carrots; return to boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add peas, garbanzo beans, and red peppers to pan and replace lid; simmer for another 2 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed; remove from heat and stir to fluff up rice and distribute the vegetables; season with fresh-ground black pepper and serve.