Recipe by frugalgreengirl
This soup is easy to make and tastes really good. It is vegetarian and can easily be vegan. It has complete protein in it and is nice and filling. Easy on the waist line too!
- 1 lb carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery (leafy tops separated and saved)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable flavor better than bouillon or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup dried pink lentils
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup instant rice
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup almond milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash, trim and chop carrots, celery and onion. Place in soup pot with the butter. Cook on Medium- low heat about 20 minutes or until vegetables start to develop color and onion is clear.
- Add water, bullion, lentils, reserved celery tops (chopped) and parsley. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add Instant rice and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. If you don't have one you can blend in a regular blender then return to the soup pot.
- Add milk (you can add more or less if you feel the soup is to thick or if you think 1 cup may thin it too much) and salt/ pepper if desired.
- Heat on low until just heated through. We skip this step because by now my family is hungry and eager for dinner, lol. We like how the milk cools it down enough to be able to eat it right away anyway.
- Serve with bread (if desired) and enjoy!