Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
When my daughter converted to vegetarianism she really missed winters with French Onion soup-here's a version she really enjoys!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 5 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup packed chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 slices of toasted French bread, 1 inch
- 4 cups grated gouda cheese
- In a large saucepot or soup pot melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and pepper stirring to coat the onions.
- Continue to cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the wine and stir for 3 minutes, deglazing the pot.
- Bring to a boil and add the water, parsley, soy sauce, thyme, bay leaves and cloves.
- Return to a boil.
- Once a good boil is reached, reduce heat to a medium low simmer and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves and 2 cloves-discard.
- Ladle soup into 4 oven safe bowls or ramekins.
- Place one toast slice on top of each serving and divide cheese evenly on top of toast.
- Place in oven set on broil.
- While watching carefully allow cheese to melt and get bubble and JUST toasted.
This was great. It's not easy to find a good vegetarian French onion soup recipe but this was perfect; even my husband, who hates onions, had a second bowl. I used vegetable broth rather than plain water (and had to use about two additional cups) and I used Gruyere cheese which gave it a nice tang.
Thank you! I haven't had French Onion Soup since I went veg in '89, and I've missed it. I finally got me some oven safe bowls and went looking for a recipe, and yours hit the spot. The gouda was a nice innovative touch. We loved it.