1 hr 20 mins
When my daughter converted to vegetarianism she really missed winters with French Onion soup-here's a version she really enjoys!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 5 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup packed chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 slices of toasted French bread, 1 inch
- 4 cups grated gouda cheese
- 1In a large saucepot or soup pot melt the butter over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions and pepper stirring to coat the onions.
- 3Continue to cook for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- 4Add the wine and stir for 3 minutes, deglazing the pot.
- 5Bring to a boil and add the water, parsley, soy sauce, thyme, bay leaves and cloves.
- 6Return to a boil.
- 7Once a good boil is reached, reduce heat to a medium low simmer and cook for another 30 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 9Remove the bay leaves and 2 cloves-discard.
- 10Ladle soup into 4 oven safe bowls or ramekins.
- 11Place one toast slice on top of each serving and divide cheese evenly on top of toast.
- 12Place in oven set on broil.
- 13While watching carefully allow cheese to melt and get bubble and JUST toasted.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (631 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.6
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 1073.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: