Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
- 2 lbs fresh okra, washed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 lb yellow onion, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, crushed or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled and dried
- 1 teaspoon red pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare okras for cooking by removing ends and cutting into 1-2-inch pieces.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add okra.
- Sauté until all of the sticky juices become dry.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet with the remaining oil, add tomatoes and spices.
- Cook over low heat until paste-like.
- Add onions and sautéed okra.
- Stir, cover and let simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with garam masala or black pepper.
As far as I am concerned okra is wrongly labeled as the red-headed step child of vegetables. This recipe is one of my favorite okra recipes. Right up there with okra, grilled onions and tomatoes. You MUST let it sit for a day to experience the full flavor of this dish. Don't let your fear of okra keep you from experiencing this great dish!
Really nice, thanks.
I enjoyed this a lot. I added some savoy cabbage to it to stretch the meal as I did not have 2lbs of okra. I also added chopped green chilies, and some green cardamon pods and finished it off with some fresh cilantro. The garam masala at the end makes it...Tastes good after sitting for a day or two..Would definately make this again.