1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Nut Roast
1 hr 10 mins
The Hungry Mouse's Note:
I found this recipe on the internet when trying to find something yummy I could make for myself over the Christmas period, as I don't eat meat. What I love about this is that no bread crumbs are used; tofu is used instead. And the addition of the chillis give a nice bit of heat. Just don't judge this recipe on what the roast looks like BEFORE cooking; it's not a pretty sight. But the taste is amazing. Warning: don't let the meat-eaters get hold of this or you just may have to share!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces firm tofu, chopped into 1/2 cm cubes
- 6 ounces onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped dried hot red chili pepper
- 1 ounce butter
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup boiling water (for stock cubes)
- 4 ounces finely chopped closed-cap mushrooms
- 3 1/2 ounces pine nuts
- 9 ounces cashew nuts
- 3 ounces halved walnuts (or chestnuts if you prefer)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil or 3 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and black pepper
- 1Finely grind cashew nuts using food processor or blender. Prepare tofu, onions, mushrooms and walnuts as described in ingredients list.
- 2Boil water on stove and add vegetable stock cubes. Once completely dissolved, add onions, chilli and garlic. Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- 3In a large bowl, combine tofu, eggs, butter, basil, walnuts, pine and cashew nuts and mushrooms. Stir them in with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to your own taste.
- 4Fold stock/onion mixture into the tofu/egg mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- 5Grease loaf tin with butter and place mixture into tin.
- 6Cook for 40 minutes at 350F (180 celsius), fan forced. If not, place the tin on a shelf nearest the heating element.
- 7The roast will be done when a knife or skewer comes out clean!
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Nut Roast
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 878.6
- Calories from Fat 669
- Total Fat 74.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 173.8 mg
- Sodium 521.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 30.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes