Recipe by blonder
Im a vegetarian this is a GREAT comfort food!
Top Review by Wistaria
This is wonderful! Really is comfort food, and is a great pot pie. I didn't miss the chicken at all. I subbed chickpeas for the tofu, and made it into a pie with a home made top and bottom crust. Other than that, I followed it as written. The flavor is superb, and the texture is perfect. Another bonus is that you don't have to deal with cooking the chicken, which is a major pain in the other recipe I was using. I see no reason to ever go back to it! Five stars!
- 2.46 ml ground thyme
- 236.59 ml potato, diced
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 78.07 ml melted margarine or 78.07 ml butter
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml onion broth
- 354.88 ml half-and-half
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml chopped vegetarian chicken strips or 473.18 ml firm tofu, cut in tiny cubes
- 2 pie crusts (either store bought or your own recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Saute onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.
- Combine broth and half and half.
- Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper and tyme; add tofu and stir well.
- Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.