This dish is an absolutely must-try for all of you vegans/vegetarians who sometimes miss the taste of meat.
- 1 kg red potatoes
- 100 g textured soy protein granules
- 1 kg mushroom (I used champignons)
- 1 carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs (or egg substitutes for vegans, you can also add 3-4 tbsp dry yeast flakes)
- sea salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Peel the potatoes and put them in a large pot filled with water. Boil them until they're tender. Mash them and let them cool for a while.
- Chop the mushrooms, carrot and red bell pepper. Add them into your food processor and pulse until all ingredients are well mixed together.
- Heat 2 tbsp of sunflower oil in a large skillet. Add the mixture above, diced onions, chopped dill and parsley, soy granules, eggs ( or egg substitutes + dry yeast flakes) and spices. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- * I added the soy granules without boiling them because the mushrooms contain a lot of water and these soy granules will absorb all excess water.
- Put some parchment paper on the bottom of a casserole. Divide the mashed potatoes in two. Place the first half in the casserole and spread it with a spatula. Add the filling. Place over the other half of mashed potatoes.
- Heat your oven at 392Ëš. Put the casserole in the oven. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Don't serve immediately. Let it cool for at least half an hour.
- *Textured soy protein substitute: Use 1,5-2kg of mushrooms instead of just 1kg. Add 3-4 tbsp of breadcrumbs(optional). I used soy granules only for economical purposes.