Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great on mashed potatoes or anything else. I will be bringing this to my sisters for Thanksgiving as an alternative to the turkey gravy for the vegetarians. This recipe came from the Sundays at Moosewood recipe for Shepherds Pie which I've posted separately, but this gravy is so good that I make it and serve it on everything.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- Sauté mushrooms, tamari and black pepper in oil until mushrooms are tender.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add cornstarch and cook at a low boil, continuing to stir until the gravy is thick and clear.
- Adjust seasoning as necessary.
I made this to accompany your shepherd's pie. I pulsed it to make it more gravy-like but otherwise made it as directed. It was delicious. Made for PAC Spring 12
Yum, yum! We made this tonight to go with the vegan shepherd's pie we made and it was fantastic.