Recipe by cakeinmyface
I made this today for my in laws served with souvlaki. I didn't eat the souvlaki because I'm vegan, but I did eat a sneaky bit of risotto. It can be veganised with vegan cream and vegan Parmesan. They loved it!
- 500 g butternut squash
- 250 g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 green chili, chopped finely
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 100 g parmesan cheese
- 2 liters vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 teaspoons sage
- salt and pepper
- 500 g arborio rice
- 1 green pepper
- 250 ml white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the butternut squash in half and roast at gas mark 6 for 40 minutes until soft. Scrape out the flesh and mash a bit.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions gently for 5 minutes, then fry the peppers and mushrooms for a further 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chilli.
- When soft and translucent, tip into a casserole dish and add the mashed butternut squash.
- Heat the remaining olive oil and butter in the empty pan and add the arborio rice. Fry for two minutes stirring continuously, then add the wine and stir until absorbed.
- Add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously until all stock has been absorbed. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Mix the rice with the veggies in the casserole dish and stir well. Add the cheese, salt, pepper, and the cream; serve immediately.