This is the vegetarian version of an east Indian soup. I find it very comforting with rich, complex flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or traditionally, ghee)
- 1 small chili, seeded and chopped (or a pinch of cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons cilantro (optional)
- 1In a soup pot, saute the onions in the ghee for 5 minutes.
- 2Add chili, turmeric and coriander.
- 3Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring.
- 4Add the stock and the vegetables.
- 5Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- 6Add the coconut, coconut milk and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- 8Add lemon juice and cilantro.
- 9The longer this soup sits, the better its flavor.
- 10Re-heat gently before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Mulligatawny Soup
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.0
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 330.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: