Since I love eggplant and kugel this sounded like a good combination. Using S'kar's recipe as a base, I really liked the results of this new creation. Nice colors and great served with beef.
- Peel and cube eggplant.
- Rinse well and place in pot of water with 1/4 tspn salt.
- Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, fry the onion, garlic and peppers in 1 Tbspn oil till just starting to brown.
- Drain the eggplant in a strainer and mash it with a potato masher to make a mush and drain excess water.
- Place eggplant in frying pan with peppers.
- Add 1 Tbspn oil, tomato paste, seasoned bread crumbs, and seasoning (paprika and spicy).
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add egg.
- Oil a pyrex round or square dish with remaining 1 Tbspn of oil.
- Place eggplant mixture in it.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 or microwave on high for about 12 minutes.
The flavor was okay... but the instructions are VERY unclear. The ingredients don't list breadcrumbs, and as I didn't read through the recipe before making it, I had no idea how much of it to add. I wound up with more of a casserole than anything else. I skipped the oil, too. If the recipe is corrected, maybe I'd try it again. Thanks for posting!