1/3 Photos of Vegetarian Moussaka
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This takes a bit of effort to make but is worth it for a really nice veggie meal. We served it on Christmas Eve for all our friends.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 150 g young spinach leaves
- 200 g lentils
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 8 medium mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 750 g potatoes, peeled
- 2 large eggplants
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 500 ml milk
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 50 g grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1Boil spinach for one minute, drain and reserve the liquid.
- 2Put 450 ml of the water into a pan and add the lentils.
- 3Cover and cook over a medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, heat 1 tbs of oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for about 10 minutes until soft and golden.
- 5Stir the mushrooms into the onions, increase the heat and season generously.
- 6Cook until juicy and darkened in colour.
- 7Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook briskly for 5 minutes until thickened but still quite liquid.
- 8Add the lentils and any cooking liquid, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cumin.
- 9Simmer gently for a few minutes.
- 10Squeeze all the liquid out of the spinach and stir it into the pan.
- 11Add a little water if the stew seems too dry.
- 12Boil the potatoes in salted water, drain, cool slightly and slice lengthways.
- 13Pre-heat the oven to 400 F or 200 degrees C.
- 14Trim the eggplant and slice lengthways about 1/2 cm thick.
- 15Smear a baking sheet with remaining oil, lay out the slices.
- 16Bake for 15 minutes, turn and cook the other side for a further 5 minutes until soft.
- 17Reduce the temperature to 360 F or 180 degrees C.
- 18Take a 2-litre capacity dish at least 5 cm deep and make a layer with half the potatoes, then half the eggplant, followed by the mushroom mixture, the rest of the eggplant and the rest of the potatoes.
- 19To make the topping, melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and gradually add the milk and bring it to the boil.
- 20Simmer for a few minutes, add the parmesan and the ricotta mixed with the egg.
- 21Remove from the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 22Pour the sauce over the moussaka and dust with nutmeg.
- 23Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is set and golden.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (628 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 748.2
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 126.7 mg
- Sodium 455.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.6 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 31.9 g