Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yummy Dish - another option would be to use the lentil mix with cooked eggplant pieces on brown rice
- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 100 g dry green lentils (or 400g can, drained)
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 g chickpeas, drained
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 150 ml low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100 g cheese, grated
- Preheat oven 180°C.
- Place the sliced eggplant in layers in a large sieve, sprinkling each layer with salt. Cover and leave for at least 30 minutes to allow the bitter juices to be extracted.
- Place the lentils, stock and bay leaves in a saucepan and bring to boil, then simmer for approx 20 minutes, until lentils are tender. If you are using canned ready prepared lentils skip this step and add the bay leaves to the main mix while cooking instead.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir the drained lentils, tomatoes, check peas, mushrooms, tomato puree, herbs and water into the onions. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Season to taste and remove the bay leaves.
- Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry with kitchen paper. Place a few of the slices on a plate and microwave for 1 minute. Repeat this until all the slices have been microwave (traditional way is to fry the slices, which can be done if preferred).
- Arrange a layer of eggplants on the bottom of a deep casserole dish, spoon over a layer of lentil mixture. Continue the layers until all the mixture and eggplant slices are used, finishing with a lentil mixture layer.
- Beat together the yogurt and egg, and season. Pour over the mixture in the casserole.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake for 45 minutes.