Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An easy, tasty vegetarian dish. Serve with pita bread.
Make and share this Vegetarian Moroccan Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato juice
- 2 cups green beans, sliced in 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a soup kettle, simmer onions and garlic in oil and water until transparent.
- Add potatoes and carrots and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and cumin. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Check occasionally to see if more liquid is needed. If so, add tomato juice as needed.
- Add green beans and cook 15 minutes more.
- Check seasoning and add pepper and more cumin to taste.
Gotta love this! It's delicious, heathy and really easy. I did add a celery stalk because I have some that is needing to be used up and it went very well here. The spiceing is indeed very mild and toward the end of cooking I added a Tbsp of Ras el Hanout which really brought out it's best. :D
The recipe was easy to make and filling but lacked some taste as other reviewers stated. I made it again and exchanged the tomato juice with spicy V8 juice and added a little red pepper flakes, that made all the difference.
I really enjoyed this dish. I did add more pepper to spice it up a bit more. I would like to add some chickpeas next time to make it a complete vegetarian meal. Made for ZWT9 Soup A Stars