Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe from "The Higher Taste" that I haven't tried yet. If anyone tries it, please let me know how it is.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomatoes (skinned and diced)
- 1⁄2 cup dried garbanzo beans (soaked overnight)
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves
- 1 parsley sprig (chopped)
- 9 cups water
- 1 carrot (peeled and diced)
- 1 celery (diced)
- 1 cup red potatoes (diced)
- 1 large zucchini (diced)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon hing
- Heat oil in large saucepan, add garlic powder and cabbage. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, chick-peas, basil, parsley, and water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots and celery and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for cheese. Cook 45 more minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Let the soup stand for 15 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve hot.