Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I love a flavorful minestrone on a cold night. The herbs compliment each other wonderfully. Serve with garlic breadsticks and an Italian salad.
- 1 cup dried great northern beans, presoaked
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsley chopped, with juice
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups water
- 2 cups water
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium zucchini, unpeeled, quartered length-wise and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked macaroni or 3⁄4 cup other small shell pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- homemade garlic-flavored croutons, if desired
- In a large soup pot over high heat, combine drained beans, tomatoes, tomato juice, stock, water, onion, carrot, celery, parsley, salt, basil, thyme, oregano, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage, zucchini, and macaroni and cooked, covered, until macaroni and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- For a thicker soup, remove about 1 cup vegetables and puree in a food processor or blender.
- Return to soup pot and simmer, uncovered, until blended. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese and garlic croutons.
Thankyou for posting! I recently made minestrone which was so good, but I didn't bookmark the recipe. This is almost exactly what I did and it was sooo good! Thanks! I like your ratio of tomato juice to broth, I will make it this way this time, I'm sure it will be great!
Yay! I loved this soup. You get 5 stars. It was even better the next day! ***Any vegetarians out there you might like to pop into our group at Yahoo under groups: vegetarian_group