Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious and addictive!
- 4 large bell peppers, cut lengthwise in half, seeds removed (I prefer yellow or red)
- 1 (8 ounce) package Mexican rice, prepare according to package directions
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, heated and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- Heat oven to 400.
- Parboil halved bell peppers for 5 minutes.
- Sauté onions and green peppers in skillet until heated thoroughly. Add cooked rice, drained black beans, and tomato sauce and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup of cheese. Spoon mixture into pepper halves and then place in 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Pour hot water in the bottom of the dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes; sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
These were delicious and filling. I love stuffed peppers and love to find all kinds of alternatives to the traditional version. This was perfect and very easy to make. I added a little cumin to the stuffing mixture, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. The peppers were nicely cooked but still had a slight crunch, which I like. Great recipe; thanx!