Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I had a craving for something with rice and black beans one night, and this is what I came up with. I still fiddle with the ingredients some every time I make it, and probably will until I have it "perfected". :) These are wonderful served with steamed corn as well.
- 2 pita pockets
- 2⁄3 cup black beans (120g)
- 1⁄8 cup brown rice, dry (makes 1/2 cup cooked)
- 1 ounce fat free cheese (mozzarella or cheddar both work well)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 green onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- chipotle Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- Cook dry brown rice according to directions.
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Mix beans, brown rice, cheese, spinach, onion, cumin powder, and chipotle tobasco sauce in mixing bowl. Stir well.
- Separate mixture into two pita pockets.
- Place halves on backing sheet covered with tin foil and let them bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let them sit for 2-3 minutes and enjoy!