Recipe by Veggie.Mama
Easily the most popular dish I make for my husband and his band, plus hangers-on. It can be doubled with no trouble, and is very much a simple crowd pleaser. I think the soy beef substitute gives a better flavor than ground beef, even though I'm not a fan of fake meats. Fools even the most voracious carnivore, which makes it a perfect dish to prove that meatless doesn't have to be tasteless!
Top Review by spiritussancto
this is awesome! super easy and filling, also keeps well. this was lunch at work for three or four days. I topped it with shredded lettus as well as sour cream, gave it a nice lightness and crunch, btw, 180C is aprox 350F
- 1⁄2 lb soy crumbles (I use Sanitarium Soy Mince)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups salsa
- tasty cheese (as much as you like!)
- 4 tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook soy mince in a frying pan according to directions on packet. stir in the refried beans, taco seasoning packet and the required amount of water (usually 3/4 cup). Add a spoonful or two of the salsa.
- Spray a square casserole dish with oil. Lay one tortilla, a third of the mince/bean mix, spread a few tablespoons of salsa over and add some cheese.
- Repeat twice, covering the top tortilla with cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated 180°C oven for twenty or so minutes until heated through. I usually brown top under broiler to get super-golden brown.
- Serve with lots of sour cream and a salad made with a lemon juice vinaigrette. Or whatever you want!