Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easily the most popular dish I make for my husband and his band, plus hangers-on. It can be doubled with no trouble, and is very much a simple crowd pleaser. I think the soy beef substitute gives a better flavor than ground beef, even though I'm not a fan of fake meats. Fools even the most voracious carnivore, which makes it a perfect dish to prove that meatless doesn't have to be tasteless!
- 1⁄2 lb soy crumbles (I use Sanitarium Soy Mince)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups salsa
- tasty cheese (as much as you like!)
- 4 tortillas
- Cook soy mince in a frying pan according to directions on packet. stir in the refried beans, taco seasoning packet and the required amount of water (usually 3/4 cup). Add a spoonful or two of the salsa.
- Spray a square casserole dish with oil. Lay one tortilla, a third of the mince/bean mix, spread a few tablespoons of salsa over and add some cheese.
- Repeat twice, covering the top tortilla with cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated 180°C oven for twenty or so minutes until heated through. I usually brown top under broiler to get super-golden brown.
- Serve with lots of sour cream and a salad made with a lemon juice vinaigrette. Or whatever you want!
this is awesome! super easy and filling, also keeps well. this was lunch at work for three or four days. I topped it with shredded lettus as well as sour cream, gave it a nice lightness and crunch, btw, 180C is aprox 350F
Really wonderful and easy recipe that pleased everyone in my family. Great recipe. I added chopped green chilis, a few tomatillos, and my own refried beans.