Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
You'll never miss the meat in this delicious Cooking Light recipe. The entire family gave it a thumbs up!
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) package veggie crumbles (such as Lightlife Smart Ground)
- 48 baked corn tortilla chips
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped seeded (or use canned, diced tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and jalapeno; cook 1 minute. Stir in chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and crumbles; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Arrange half of tortilla chips in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top evenly with the crumbles mixture.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add beans, mashing with the back of a wooden spoon until chunky and thick; cook 2 minutes or until heated, stirring constantly. Stir in lime juice.
- Combine tomato, cilantro, and salt. Layer beans and tomato mixture over crumbles mixture in dish. Top with remaining tortilla chips, pressing to slightly crush. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 13 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Cut casserole into 6 equal pieces; top each serving with 1 teaspoon sour cream, 1 teaspoon onions, and 2 teaspoons olives.
Easy and quick, this was good. I halved the recipe and will enjoy leftovers tomorrow. Thanks!
A perfect way to satisfy that Tex Mex craving without breaking the bank in fat and calories. This is simple and delicious. The fact that it's not long in the oven makes it possible even in the summer weather. Jan, your recipes are always a true hit with me. Made for Photo Tag
Fabulous recipe. This is going into regular rotation in our house. Even my meat loving husband liked it. Thanks for posting.