1/2 Photos of Vegetarian Mexican Casserole - Plus Low Cal and Low Fat!
You'll never miss the meat in this delicious Cooking Light recipe. The entire family gave it a thumbs up!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) package veggie crumbles (such as Lightlife Smart Ground)
- 48 baked corn tortilla chips
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped seeded (or use canned, diced tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup ripe olives, sliced
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and jalapeno; cook 1 minute. Stir in chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and crumbles; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Arrange half of tortilla chips in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; top evenly with the crumbles mixture.
- 3Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add beans, mashing with the back of a wooden spoon until chunky and thick; cook 2 minutes or until heated, stirring constantly. Stir in lime juice.
- 4Combine tomato, cilantro, and salt. Layer beans and tomato mixture over crumbles mixture in dish. Top with remaining tortilla chips, pressing to slightly crush. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 13 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Cut casserole into 6 equal pieces; top each serving with 1 teaspoon sour cream, 1 teaspoon onions, and 2 teaspoons olives.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Mexican Casserole - Plus Low Cal and Low Fat!
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.4
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 267.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 12.4 g