This vegetarian frittata, also called an Italian omelet, contains cheeses, roasted peppers, and olives. Prepared in less than 30 minutes, it makes a delicious entrée for breakfast or brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or 1/4 cup light cream or 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped bottled roasted sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives (optional) or 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives (optional)
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup onion-and-garlic crouton, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded parmesan cheese
- fresh basil leaf (optional)
- 1Preheat broiler. In a large broiler-proof skillet cook onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons hot oil until onion is just tender.
- 2Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat together eggs and half-and-half. Stir in feta cheese, roasted sweet pepper, olives (if desired), basil and black pepper. Pour egg mixture over onion mixture in skillet. Cook over medium heat. As mixture sets, run a spatula around the edge of the skillet, lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking and lifting edges until egg mixture is almost set (surface will be moist). Reduce heat as necessary to prevent overcooking.
- 3In a large bowl combine crushed croutons, Parmesan cheese, and the remaining tablespoon of oil; Sprinkle mixture over frittata.
- 4Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until top is set and crumbs are golden. Cut frittata in wedges to serve. If desired, garnish with fresh basil leaves. Makes 6 servings.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Mediterranean Frittata
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.0
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 264.3 mg
- Sodium 283.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.9 g