14 hrs 3 mins
If you don't want to use regular Geletain here is a great Vegetarian recipe. Time Includes resting time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Put in the mixing bowl and let stand 1 hour
- 1In about 1/2 hour, begin to prepare a syrup.
- 2Place in a heavy pan over low heat and stir until dissolved.
- 3When the mixture start to boil, cover it about 3 minutes to allow any crystals which have formed to be washed down from the sides of the pan.
- 4Be careful, though, not to let the mixture boil over.
- 5Continue to cook uncovered and unstirred over high heat to the firm-ball stage (244 degrees F).
- 6Overcooking makes the marshmallows tough.
- 7Remove the mixture from heat and pour slowly over the gelatin, beating constantly with an electric mixer.
- 8Continue to beat about 15 minutes after all the syrup has been added.
- 9While beating, when the mixture is thick but still smooth, add: 2 tablespoons vanilla extract.
- 10Put the mixture into an 8 x 12 in pan that has been lightly dusted with cornstarch.
- 11Dust the top with cornstarch and set aside.
- 12When it has dried for 12 hours, remove it from the pan, cut it into square with scissors dusted with cornstach, and store the fully dusted pieces in a closed tin.
- 13Possible variations: Add coconut extract instead of vanilla. pour into pan coated with toasted coconut and roll cut pieces in toasted coconut instead of cornstarch. Use creme de menthe instead of vanilla for mint marshmallows. Use other flavors/liquers (almond extract, orange, Kahlua, etc.) instead of vanilla. Cut marshmallows into shapes and dip in melted vegan chocolate. Tint marshmallows with vegetable colors while beating the creme. Cut into holiday shapes (especially nice for spring- Easter, etc.). Time Includes resting time.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Marshmallows
Serving Size: 1 (920 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2346.6
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 747.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 599.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 471.3 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: