Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
After much experimentation, I came up with a very tasty vegetarian sauce that can be used with several types of foods. The spice and herb combination gives the sauce a delighful touch.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 10 ounces canned mushrooms (bits & pieces, also use liquid)
- 28 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, inlcude liquid
- 6 fluid ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon spicy italian seasoning
- 3 large bay leaves
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil; add garlic, onions and saute' until onions are transparent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add diced sweet red pepper, diced green pepper and saute' for an additional 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a large heavy bottom cooking pot.
- Add diced carrots, canned mushrooms (including liquid), tomatoes (including liquid), tomato paste, oregano, dried basil, fresh basil, spicy Italian seasoning, bay leaves, celery, sugar, salt and black pepper Bring sauce to boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sauce should be smooth when cooked.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Serve sauce over pasta or pasta with saute'ed fresh vegetables, chicken or veal.
- This sauce may be canned while it is hot.
- Follow canning instructions carefully.
- It also freezes well in plastic containers.
- If you desire a meat sauce, add 1 1/2 pounds of extra lean ground round; firstly fry ground round for about 5 minutes, discard any fat and add to sauce just after the tomatoes.
Being a vegetarian, I have to say this sauce was excellent! It is very easy to make with the help of my chopper. I had my family over and my Mom and sister really enjoyed this sauce. I will certainly make it again. Served with some crusty bread and a salad, it made a fulfilling meal. As for wine, I served it with a pink wine that is coded #3.
Excellent. I didn't have all the basil, mushrooms or carrots on hand so I can't wait to try it next time with everything! I did add some chopped turkey pepperoni as well. Thanks for sharing!
This is wonderful sauce, I had all the stuff on hand to make it, I had my canned jar of tomatoes with garlic, and onion in it so I saved myself like three steps. I did not use carrots, but oh it was lip smacking good.. Thanks so much.