Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mapo tofu served at Chinese restaurants always contains ground meat, so I came up with this vegan version. The taste is not exactly the same, but it is still a good dish. I suggest serving it with cooked quinoa or brown rice. For more healthy gluten-free pesco-vegetarian recipes, please visit my blog, www.innerharmonynutrition.com.
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh green peas or 1⁄4 cup frozen green pea
- 14 ounces tofu, diced
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili bean paste or 1 -2 teaspoon other spicy chili paste
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in one cup of water for 1-2 hours or until soft. Save the water. Finely dice the mushrooms.
- In a skillet, heat sesame seed oil and sauté minced ginger and garlic. Add carrots and sauté. Add mushrooms and peas and sauté.
- Add diced tofu and 1 cup water used for soaking mushrooms.
- Add salt, tamari, and 1 - 2 tsp chili paste (depending on how spicy you want). Cook until everything is heated through.
- In a small bowl, dissolve potato starch in 2 Tbsp water. Lower the heat and add the mixture. Stir until the liquid gets thick. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the dish to plates and sprinkle sliced green onions.