1/2 Photos of Vegetarian Lumpiang Shanghai (Similar to an Egg Roll)
The recipe for the fresh lumpia wrapper I got from a Filipino friend of mine and the recipe for the filling I got from a Filipino vegetarian cookbook called "Cooking Smart" by Blecenda Miranda-Varona and David Arsulo Varona. I used the Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce by Chef #803511 to go with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb veggie crumbles (Any ground vegemeat will work. You can also use gluten, TVP, or your favorite)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cream of mushroom soup, powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro (The recipe actually calls for 1/2 cup kinchay which looks exactly like cilantro, you really can't te)
- salt, to taste
- canola oil, for frying
- 1Lumpia Wrapper:.
- 2In a bowl, whisk together eggs, water, cornstarch, flour, and salt until smooth. Strain batter.
- 3Place a non-stick 8-inch omlet pan over medium heat until hot and brush with a little oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter into the pan so the batter covers the entire surface.
- 4Cook until the edge of the wrapper is lightly browned and the surface looks dry; about 45 seconds. Loosen edge with spatula, turn wrapper, and cook 10 seconds longer. Turn wrapper out of the pan and onto a plate.
- 5Repeat to use all of the batter.
- 7Saute garlic and onion in 1 Tbsp oil for about a minutes.
- 8Add all ingredients except the lumpia wrappers and the oil for frying. Cook for about 2 more minutes.
- 9Spoon some of the filling mixture onto a wrapper and roll folding over and tucking the side in like you would a spring roll or egg roll.
- 10Heat oil for frying in a pan and fry the lumpia and filling until golden brown.
- 11Serve immediately with sweet and sour sauce or fresh calamansi (small round fruit in the Philippines that tastes like limes but with a slightly sweeter taste).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Lumpiang Shanghai (Similar to an Egg Roll)
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.9
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 502.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 17.8 g